Saturday, May 9, 2015

refrain/restrain: Common Errors in English Usage Entry for Saturday, May 9, 2015

refrain/restrain
“Restrain” is a transitive verb: it needs an object. Although “refrain” was once a synonym for “restrain” it is now an intransitive verb: it should not have an object. Here are examples of correct modern usage: “When I pass the doughnut shop I have to restrain myself” (“myself” is the object). “When I feel like throwing something at my boss, I usually refrain from doing so.” You can’t refrain yourself or anyone else.

___________
This is the ten-year anniversary of the Common Errors in English Usage calendar. To celebrate, we are bringing back some of our favorite interesting, funny, but sometimes merely silly entries through the years before going on hiatus in 2016.

Enjoy the calendar? Buy the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment